Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Life in the Twentieth Century by Irene Even










A Life of the Twentieth Century is a fictionalized biography depicting the life of Aya, which started in a small village in the Carpathian Mountains. From there, she went to Budapest where she survived the Nazi occupation. After the war, she went to Palestine and experienced life in a Kibutz. Later, she immigrated to Canada where she graduated with a B.A. and a teacher's diploma from McGill University. Ava spent the rest of her life teaching.

My Review
Four Stars
Copy received for an honest review.
I really enjoyed "A Life of the Twentieth Century."  Like all books that deal with the Nazi occupation and the Holocaust it is not light reading but is very profound. I've read a few of books about the occupation but this book stood out for a couple of reasons. 1) the author speaks about her experience but does not do it in the first person 2) I usually read about those who have escaped Europe and flee to the United States, in this book we glimpse Aya's life in Palestine and finally to Canada.  There are many heart-warming and difficult moments but they all add up to a fantastic story/me memoire that leaves an imprint.

Amazon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scandalous Ladies of London #2 The Duchess: The Scandalous Ladies of London

Classic Sophie Jordan! I really , really enjoyed this book. I could not wait to read about Valencia! I thought her story was very unique... ...